Sunday, November 4, 2012

Unemployment High, Successful Job Search Higher ? headline news

One of the scariest decisions that I made in my adult years was to leave my job. It was paying me money and I had security, but I felt like I was losing my self and creativity, and my being. Many people have felt like this for years, and have made a change. Sadly, today many of our fellow Americans have not had any say on whether they will be employed your not. In addition, most of us have underestimated the time it will take to become re-employed.

The general rule is 3-6 months for a professional or manager, regardless of the economy or other factors. You can also estimate that it will take one month for every $10,000 of salary you were making at your previous job. Sounds a bit daunting, however, this temporary unemployment is a blessing.

Unemployment is high and because of this, your job search success rate will be high. They say that it is easier to find a job when you already have one, however, will you find the perfect job for you? I was so focused on what I might like and want to do, that I didn?t realize that I already figured out what I didn?t want to do. Why can?t we do what we want to do, when we want to and stay away from the things that we don?t like to do? That was the question I asked myself, and the answer that I came up with was ?we can have our cake and eat it to,? and we could have it for breakfast, lunch or dinner. Being unemployed also gave me the much needed time during the week to make the best decisions for my career. There are just a few rules that must be followed.

First is how much effort, time and commitment are you willing to expend? When you are out of work, finding a job is your work! This change takes discipline and you at least two-four hours a day, including weekends on your job search.

Some of you might think that you could just get a job recruiter to do all the work for you, and that will land you your dream job. That?s not how it works. First and foremost, recruiters are not the same as employment agencies who, generally work with people in non-management roles placing them in temporary or permanent positions. If you are not looking for management role, then you should target an agency not an executive search or recruitment firm. Regardless, you will still need to be extremely active in your search. No one should care more about your well-being than yourself.

If you do go the route of recruiter, use a chronological resume vs. a functional resume, and make sure that you can account for any gaps in your resume and include your education credentials. Recruiters must check and verify your information before introducing you to their client.

The two most important thing to get you started on your road to weekday happiness is an updated resume that can be sent out at a moment?s notice through an online job search portal and a well written cover letter. I usually like to have at least four to five different letters depending on the position. It is important to have It is also important to promptly reply to all people that respond to your employment inquiry and to be professional with your response. Set yourself above the rest and relax.

Shawn Hillman writes on job search techniques and training trainers. You can learn more by visiting my blog, Job Search Essentials at

http://job-search-essentials.blogspot.com/

Source: http://headlinenews.talkposts.com/2012/11/03/unemployment-high-successful-job-search-higher/

chicago bears sandy Time Change 2012 Marcus Lattimore earthquake news 12 world series

No comments:

Post a Comment